For more updates...

Monday 14 July 2014

Easy BBQ

With the original venue on the Kings Road, I've been meaning to venture over to Big Easy for quite some time now, though have never quite made it for many a various reason, including, but unfortunately not limited to, my fear of the Chelsea socialite and my woeful loathing of the District & Circle lines (sorry to all you Wimbledon dwellers!). Low and behold though, as I battled through the crowds of Covent Garden with my jaw clenched yesterday (hoping that our choice of a central location for the World Cup final wouldn't be our worst decision this year), Big Easy has infact recently landed in Maiden Lane.

Before now, Maiden Lane has meant only the very sticky Canadian haunt, Maple Leaf (paying homage to poutine and wings!); an even stickier Jewel (let's not go there!), and my go-to central beer den, the Porterhouse (a multi-floored beer haven, not necessarily home to the best pub grub you've ever had, but absolutely brimming with brews from around the world and one of very few places I can rekindle my Cuban love fest with Palma Cristal!).

The former electricity station opened its doors in March 2014 as an all-American BBQ and crab shack, and places itself in the midst of a very competitive insurgence of dirty burger establishments, steak and lobster haunts, and BBQ-based food trucks! The original industrial chic decor is muddled with a fantastic retro Americana edge and is frankly, right up my street, loved it. Unfortunately though, you could sink a weeks wages in this place should you choose to eat a lobster the size of my newborn niece (6lbs for £65); and the can of Hawaiian beer, while exotic and fun, is [call me cheap, but] not entirely worth £5.50 when a bottle of my aforementioned Cuban nectar is only £3.70(ish) next door! We opted for pulled pork and BBQ chicken sandwiches respectively and while rather pleasant, neither quite lived up to the electric decor and epic bar, the latter of which you could drown in for nearly a year and still not have tasted very spirit on offer.

In summary therefore, this is a great place to sit at the bar, with BBQ'd snacks while you bask in the fab atmosphere and live blues music (again, right up my street and I should definitely like to get involved with this!)...there are however, better places to eat!

Follow on Twitter and Facebook







Square Meal Big Easy on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment